Vivian McConvey To Join The Patient And Client Council22nd January 2019
Vivian McConvey To Join The Patient And Client Council
Vivian McConvey will be taking up position as Chief Executive of the Patient and Client Council from 8th April 2019.
PRESS RELEASE –
Vivian McConvey joins the Patient and Client Council
The Patient and Client Council (PCC) has announced this morning that Vivian McConvey will be taking up position as their Chief Executive from 8th April 2019. Since 2002, Vivian has worked as Chief Executive of the Voice of Young People in Care (VOYPIC), an independent charity working across Northern Ireland promoting the rights and improving the lives of care-experienced children and young people.
Vivian qualified as a social worker in 1987 and has worked with vulnerable children and families predominately within the 3rd Sector. A recurring theme in her work has been promoting meaningful engagement in decision-making through full and active participation of service users.
In 2012, she established a 5 Nations coalition (5Nations1Voice) consolidating the voice of care-experienced children and young people across Scotland, England, Wales, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Working to assist care-experienced children and young people to change the narrative through sharing their stories, she is most proud of the introduction of Care Day in 2016. She has worked internationally assisting social workers and young people to design and implement service user led models of practice.
Speaking about her appointment, Vivian said: “I am delighted to be joining the Patient and Client Council at this time of significant change within Northern Ireland Health and Social Care services. Now, more than ever, our health services need to be working together with the people that use them to drive change and improvement. I believe that, through creating dialogue and understanding, we all commit and contribute to more effective solutions. I look forward to championing co-production within health and social care services at the helm of the PCC.”
In welcoming Vivian to the Patient and Client Council, Prof Maureen Edmondson OBE highlighted the wealth of experience that Vivian will bring. Her determination and effectiveness in ensuring that the voice of the service user brings positive influence to bear on services will help build further on the work of the PCC team to date.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The Patient and Client Council is an independent, informed and influential voice for patients, clients, carers and communities on health and social care issues. It has four statutory functions:
- To listen and act on people’s views
- To encourage people to get involved
- To help people make a complaint
- To promote advice and information
- The Patient and Client Council’s previous Chief Executive, Maeve Hully, left the organisation in October 2018 for a new position as UK Development Director of Helpforce, a community interest company using the power of volunteering to improve the health and wellbeing of people across the UK. Dr Glynis Henry CBE has been serving as interim Chief Executive in the period since Maeve’s departure.
- The Patient and Client Council has engaged with tens of thousands of people on a wide range of health and social care-related issues through surveys, face-to-face interviews, workshops and contact with the general public at events right across Northern Ireland.
- Some of the areas where the Patient and Client Council has enabled service users to work in partnership with Health and Social Care to co-design services and deliver meaningful service improvement include: mental health and learning disability, chronic pain and rare diseases, as well as specific conditions such as fibromyalgia, ME, Stage IV endometriosis and recurrent miscarriage.
For further information please contact:
Communications and Events Manager
Tel: 028 95 362556