Who we are
The Patient and Client Council (PCC) was created on 1st April 2009 as part of the reform of Health and Social Care (HSC) in Northern Ireland. We act as a powerful, independent voice for patients, clients, carers and communities.
Our role is to be an independent, informed and influential voice that makes a positive difference and advocates for people across Northern Ireland in Health and Social Care.
Our vision is a Health and Social Care service that is shaped by the needs and experience of patients, clients, carers and communities. In our work we express our values as:
- Put people at the centre of all we do.
- Use evidence from people as a guide to our work.
- Speak independently.
- Work in partnership.
- Are open and transparent about our work.
The PCC has five main statutory functions and duties. They are:
- to represent the interests of the public by engaging with them to obtain their views on services and engaging with health and social care organisations to ensure that the needs and expectations of the public are addressed in the planning, commissioning and delivery of health and social care services;
- to promote the involvement of patients, clients, carers and the public in the design, planning, commissioning and delivery of health and social care;
- to provide assistance to individuals making or intending to make a complaint relating to health and social care;
- to promote the provision of advice and information to the public about the design, commissioning and delivery of health and social care services; and
- to undertake research and conduct investigations into the best methods and practices for consulting the public about, and involving them in, matters relating to health and social care; and provide advice regarding those methods and practices.
Over the years we have spoken to tens of thousands of people to understand their views and priorities in order to influence and improve service delivery and to shape future service provision. In addition, we have helped support thousands of people through the HSC complaints process.
We share the Health and Social Care values of:
- Working together
- Openness and honesty